Monday 23 December 2013

Armed & Dangerous

One of the big decisions I had to make for Ruin Raiders was whether to allow any combat within the game.

The main goal is to use this as a taster game for people that have never larped before, so by definition, my target audience does not have larp combat experience. And would need an introduction and full safety briefing before they could do any fighting. That seemed like overkill for an action event that will last for less than 10 minutes.

On the other hand, I love the element of danger that the threat of violence brings to the game. Without the possibility of combat, it’s just a scavenger hunt in an obstacle course.

I’ve decided that I’m going to allow ranged combat with various nerf style weapons and any threats also only use ranged attacks. In fact, one of the starting pieces of equipment that you can be equipped with is a x-shot bow and you will be able to find the components to make zip guns in play.

I may have bought a bunch of nerf weapons this week. Don’t tell my wife :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment